Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos is an amazing recipe that’s going to be perfect for movie night or game time. Trust me, these are going to be a hit with everyone, and the best part? You can freeze them and enjoy a tasty, protein-packed snack whenever you want. So, let’s dive in and start cooking!
Can I use a different type of tortilla for this recipe?
Absolutely! While I prefer using yellow corn tortillas for their pliability and flavor, you can definitely experiment with other types, such as white corn or even flour tortillas. Just be aware that the nutritional information may change, so adjust accordingly.
What if I don’t have an air fryer? Can I still make this recipe?
No air fryer, no problem! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake the taquitos in the oven at 425°F (218°C) for 10-15 minutes, or until they’re crispy and golden brown. The texture might be slightly different, but they’ll still taste delicious!
How long can I store the cooked taquitos in the freezer?
When properly stored in vacuum-sealed bags or airtight containers, these taquitos can last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just make sure to label the bags or containers with the date so you can keep track of how long they’ve been in there.
- 2 lbs (908 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion (about 125 g), diced
- 1 tbsp (15 g) oil
- 1 tbsp (8 g) chili powder
- 2 tsp (6 g) paprika
- 2 tsp (6 g) cumin
- 2 tsp (6 g) garlic powder
- 8 oz (227 g) canned diced green chilies
- 15 oz (425 g) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp (4 g) granulated chicken bouillon (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Yellow corn tortillas (quantity depends on size; I used 44)
- Cooking spray
- Start by cooking the chicken. Place the chicken breasts in a pot, cover with water, and cook for 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook them in a slow cooker throughout the day. Once cooked, shred the chicken using an electric mixer or two forks.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the tomato sauce. Heat a pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the diced onion, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir well and let the seasonings bloom for about 30 seconds.
- Add the canned diced green chilies and crushed tomatoes to the pot. Stir well, bring to a light boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is shredded and the tomato sauce is ready, mix them together in the pot. Add the optional granulated chicken bouillon for an extra boost of flavor. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Source: Ineskohl.info)
- Now it’s time to fill the tortillas. Use yellow corn tortillas for the best results. Heat each tortilla in a dry skillet over medium heat for about a minute or two, until pliable. Add 30-35 g of the chicken mixture to each tortilla, roll it up, and place it seam-side down on a sheet pan.
- After all the taquitos are assembled, place the sheet pan in the freezer to flash freeze the taquitos. This should take a few hours.
- Once the taquitos are frozen solid, transfer them to vacuum-sealed bags or airtight containers for long-term storage.
- To reheat the taquitos, spray them lightly with cooking spray and place them in the air fryer at 400°F (204°C) for about 5-7 minutes, or until crispy and heated through.
Serving Suggestion: Serve the taquitos with a homemade cheese sauce or store-bought salsa. For a quick and macro-friendly cheese sauce, blend together 2% milk, 4% cottage cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and Cajun seasoning. Each taquito has about 83 calories and 5.7 grams of protein.
And there you have it, folks! Delicious Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos that are perfect for snacking and easy to store. Give this recipe a try, and I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do. Enjoy!