Crunchy, crispy air fryer onion rings in just minutes! This easy breaded onion ring recipe uses the air fryer to achieve that fried flavor and texture without all the excess oil. Customize with your favorite dipping sauces.
What kind of onion works best?
Vidalia and Walla Walla onions are sweeter choices that hold up well to frying. Yellow or white onions also work.
Should onion rings be chilled before frying?
Yes, chilling for 30 or so minutes firms up the breading so it adheres better during cooking.
How do I get the breading to stick?
Make sure onion rings are dried well after dredging in flour. Letting them rest in the fridge helps too.
Why are my onion rings soggy?
Too much moisture in the coating or overcrowding the air fryer basket can lead to soggy onion rings.
Can I reuse the oil/grease in the air fryer?
No, discard excess oil after each batch. Reusing can lead to issues like burning.
- 1 large onion, cut into 1⁄2 inch thick rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Air fryer
- Prepare the onion by cutting off both ends first. Then, carefully slice off the outer skin without cutting too far into the rings. You want the inner layers to remain intact. Pop out the individual rings. Discard any broken pieces.
- Set up 3 dredging stations from right to left: flour, buttermilk + eggs mixture, and seasoned breadcrumbs. Whisk the eggs into the buttermilk until fully incorporated in the middle bowl. Mix the paprika, garlic powder and salt into the breadcrumbs.
- Coat an onion ring in flour first, shaking off any excess. This helps absorb moisture. Dip the ring into the egg and buttermilk mixture next using your other “wet hand”. Finally, place the ring into the breadcrumbs, using your “dry hand”. Make sure to coat the ring fully inside and out. Place the prepared ring onto a baking sheet. Repeat process until all onion rings are breaded.
- Generously spray olive oil on both sides of the breaded rings on the baking sheet. Be delicate when flipping them over.
- Arrange onion rings in the air fryer basket without overcrowding. Lightly spray or brush basket with olive oil as well.
- Air fry at 400°F for 9-13 minutes, flipping halfway. Onion rings are done when exterior is crispy and golden brown.
- Remove air fryer onion rings and allow to slightly cool before serving. Enjoy with desired dipping sauces like ketchup.
- Chill the prepared breaded onion rings in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before air frying. This helps the coating adhere better.
- Use a light hand when breading the onion rings. Too much coverage can prevent them from getting crispy.
- Spray the onion rings with oil after breading rather than adding it directly to the wet dip. This creates an even layer.
- Flip the onion rings over halfway during cooking time. This allows both sides to brown evenly.
- Check thickness before adjusting cook time. Thicker onion rings need more time to cook through.
- Gently separate any onion rings that may have fused together after cooking.
These crispy yet healthier onion rings are the perfect comfort food. The air fryer gives you that crunchy exterior while keeping the interior tender and moist. Make this easy recipe to satisfy your onion ring cravings the healthier way.