Amish White Bread is a traditional, homemade bread that is made with simple ingredients such as flour, water, yeast, and salt. It is a soft, fluffy bread that is perfect for sandwiches, toast, or as a side to a meal. The bread is typically made by hand and is known for its delicious, homemade taste. It is also often made without preservatives, making it a healthier option compared to store-bought bread. Amish White Bread is a great choice for those who are looking for tasty, homemade bread that is easy to make and enjoy.
However, I learned a little trick that I decided to practice for the future realizations of my Amish Bread.
To have nice bread, you have to swell the yeast in a little warm water with sugar before baking.
Author: Ineskohl Kitchen
Type of Recipe: Bread
- 2 cups of white flour
- 0.59 cups of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of fresh yeast (1 tablespoon of active dry yeast for me)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/4 tsp of sugar
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water and let it foam (if using active dry yeast). If you are using fresh yeast, Dissolve the yeast in warm water and add the oil.
- In a bowl, pour the flour, salt, and sugar. Stir well. Pour the dissolved yeast and oil into the center. (source: Ineskohl.info)
- Gradually add the flour and knead the dough for 15-20 minutes until it becomes soft (if the dough is sticky, add a little flour, if it is too dry, add a little liquid). (source: ineskohl.info)
- Cover with a clean cloth and let double in size (about 1 hour).
- Divide the dough into 5 or 6 balls of equal weight (for me 65 gr). Shape the balls and stretch them out.
- Place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, lining them up side by side.
- At this point, I cut the dough lengthwise, but you can do this after the dough has doubled in size.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise a second time (about 40-45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F). Brush the surface of the bread with water (I brushed the surface with egg yolk and a little milk).
- Cut a slit in the bread lengthwise (if you didn’t do it before the rising).
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack until cool.
Love home made Amish bread
I have never made bread. Can I use a standing mixer to knead the bread?
You can also use your bread machine and do it on dough setting only. Remove from bread maker without cooking and let rise again in any pans you prefer.
I make this Amish bread recipe in my bread maker. I use the French bread setting. Turns out perfect every time!
Would love to have your recipes!