Dive into a heartwarming dish with Ineskohl Kitchen’s step-by-step Corn Casserole recipe. A perfect blend of sweet and savory that’s creamy, cheesy, and perfect for any occasion.
- 1 stick of salted butter, melted (equivalent to 1/2 cup or 4 oz)
- 1 box (8.5 oz) Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 can (15.25 oz) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) creamed corn
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (both white and green parts)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste (optional)
- Non-stick spray or butter for greasing
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the Mix: In a large mixing bowl, pour in the melted butter.
- Add Corns: First, incorporate the creamed corn. If you’re using whole kernel corn as a substitute, blend or pulse it in a food processor for a similar texture. Then, mix in the drained whole kernel sweet corn.
- Incorporate Egg: In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg and then add it to your corn mixture. Note: If you prefer a richer texture, you can use two eggs.
- Creamy Texture: Mix in the sour cream to your mixture. If you don’t have sour cream, yogurt or mayonnaise can be a substitute, but sour cream gives a distinct flavor.
- Flavor Enhancements: Add the chopped green onions. If you want to personalize, consider adding red onions, yellow onions, or even some finely diced jalapeños for a kick. Mix everything together well.
- Sweet & Savory: Sprinkle in the sugar and season with pepper according to your taste.
- The Cornbread Element: Gently fold in the Jiffy corn muffin mix. If you can’t find this mix, you can create your own using a combination of cornmeal and flour.
- Prepare the Dish: Grease an 8×8-inch baking dish (or something close in size like 7×10) with non-stick spray or butter.
- Transfer and Bake: Pour your corn mixture into the prepared dish. Slide it into the preheated oven and bake for about 33 minutes.
- Add the Topping: After 33 minutes, pull out the casserole and sprinkle more chopped onions and your preferred cheese. Popular choices are sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella.
- Final Bake: Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Cool & Serve: Once baked, remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 6-7 minutes. Slice it up, serve warm, and savor every bite!
Tip: This corn casserole is a versatile dish that can be paired with any main course or even enjoyed on its own. Remember, it’s perfect not just for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but any day you crave comfort.
Thank you for cooking with Ineskohl Kitchen. If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to give a thumbs up and share your thoughts in the comments. Happy cooking!