Indulge in a bowl of rich and satisfying Beef and Vegetable Soup, loaded with tender beef, vibrant vegetables, and flavors that warm your heart. This step-by-step guide at Ineskohl Kitchen brings a comforting classic right to your table. With fresh herbs, chunky potatoes, and a touch of love, you’ll find comfort in every spoonful!
- 1 1/4 lb ground beef (preferably lean, organic)
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 2 red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon each of onion powder and garlic and herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon each of dried thyme and pepper
- Fresh thyme, rosemary, and oregano, to taste
- Enough water to achieve your desired soup consistency
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat Your Pan: Begin by heating a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat until it reaches the desired temperature.
- Cook the Beef: Add the ground beef in chunks without breaking it up. Cook until it’s browned, leaving it in bigger pieces for a heartier texture.
- Prepare the Potatoes: While the beef cooks, cut your red potatoes into 1-inch chunks and place them in a bowl of water to prevent browning.
- Add the Mirepoix: After about 7 minutes, gently turn your beef, and add the carrot, onion, and celery. Sauté for three minutes.
- Season the Mix: Sprinkle in the Creole seasoning, beef bouillon, diced red pepper, dried thyme, minced onion, garlic and herb seasoning, and fresh garlic cloves.
- Thicken the Soup: Mix in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with the beef to add body to your soup. If preferred, tomato paste can be used instead.
- Combine Wet Ingredients: Pour in the crushed tomatoes and boiled water, followed by fresh herbs and a bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes on medium-low, partially covered.
- Adjust the Flavor: Taste your soup, adjusting with additional bouillon if needed.
- Add the Final Touches: Stir in the potatoes, mixed vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar. Let it simmer on low for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Serve and Enjoy: Dish up your comforting beef and vegetable soup with grilled cheese sandwiches or croutons. Enjoy this delicious, heart-warming meal!
- Make sure not to use overly fatty ground beef; otherwise, you may need to drain excess grease.
- If you prefer, you can replace beef bouillon with beef broth, adjusting the quantity to taste.
Tips and Variations:
- Choose Your Beef Wisely: For a leaner soup, opt for organic beef that contains less fat. This ensures a hearty texture without excess grease.
- Vegetable Options: Feel free to experiment with different vegetables like green bell peppers or peas. Fresh or frozen vegetables both work well.
- Herb Selection: The combination of rosemary, thyme, and oregano adds a fresh and aromatic touch. However, you can play with different herbs to suit your preferences.
- Potato Choices: Red potatoes hold their shape well in the soup, but you can also try Yukon Gold for a buttery texture.
- Serving Ideas: Serve the soup with grilled cheese, croutons, or a slice of crusty bread. It’s also delicious with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Make it Ahead: This soup stores well in the fridge for up to 3 days and can be frozen for up to 3 months. It makes for a convenient and satisfying meal whenever you need it.
- Vegetarian Version: For a meatless option, substitute the beef with a plant-based ground meat alternative and use vegetable bouillon or broth.
Q: Can I use beef broth instead of bouillon? A: Absolutely! If you prefer using beef broth, reduce the bouillon to two teaspoons or to taste.
Q: What can I serve with Beef and Vegetable Soup? A: This soup pairs wonderfully with grilled cheese sandwiches, croutons, fresh salad, or crusty bread.
Q: How can I make this soup gluten-free? A: Ensure that your Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon are gluten-free. Most grocery stores offer gluten-free alternatives.
Whether you’re looking for a comforting meal on a cold evening or a nourishing dinner for the family, this Beef and Vegetable Soup recipe won’t disappoint. Try it today, and don’t hesitate to put your own twist on it.
This Beef and Vegetable Soup recipe brings warmth and comfort to any meal. Its rich flavors and wholesome ingredients make it a family favorite. Enjoy it with loved ones, and don’t forget to visit Ineskohl Kitchen for more delightful recipes! Remember, cooking is an art, and the kitchen is your canvas. Happy cooking!