Welcome to the Ineskohl Kitchen! Today, we’re preparing a delightful dessert – Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. Imagine taking a bite of a light, fluffy cupcake, filled with tangy lemon curd and crowned with a golden meringue peak. Sounds irresistible, right? Let’s dive into the recipe!
For the cupcakes:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk (if unavailable, 1 cup whole milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar, left to stand until curdled)
For the lemon curd filling:
- 8 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the meringue frosting:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (300 grams)
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- Egg whites from above
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Begin by preheating your oven to 325°F (163°C) and lining a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir and set aside. (source: Ineskohl.info)
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one by one, then mix in vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mix, alternating with buttermilk. Stir until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into prepared muffin tins using an ice cream scoop for equal portioning. Bake for about 25 minutes, rotating halfway through for even baking.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare the lemon curd. Whisk together egg yolks, eggs, and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Stir in lemon juice. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (bain marie) and stir gently until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and mix in the butter. Allow to cool.
- Now, let’s prepare the meringue frosting. Dissolve sugar in water and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow the mixture to reach 230°F (110°C).
- In the meantime, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of sugar to stabilize the whites.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup into the beaten egg whites, while continuously whisking. Keep beating until the meringue thickens and cools.
- Now, let’s assemble! Spoon a dollop of lemon curd on top of each cooled cupcake. Next, pipe a generous swirl of meringue frosting over the curd, covering it entirely.
- Finally, use a culinary torch to lightly toast the meringue, giving it a beautiful golden hue.
Voila! You now have 24 stunning Lemon Meringue Cupcakes, each offering a delicious surprise of tart lemon curd beneath a cloud of sweet meringue. Enjoy this treat and share the joy with your loved ones. Bon appétit!