Pepperoni Pizza Casserole is an easy weeknight dinner that takes just 35 minutes to make. Loaded with pepperoni, cheese and pasta, this baked casserole tastes just like pizza!
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole is sure to become a new family favorite! Loaded with cheese and pepperoni flavor, this easy baked pasta dish tastes just like pizza but requires minimal effort. Let me know if you give it a try!
Can I make this ahead of time?
- Yes! Assemble the casserole up until adding the pepperoni, then refrigerate unbaked up to 24 hours. Add pepperoni before baking.
What if I don’t have Italian sausage?
- Ground beef or turkey works well too. Brown it the same way as the sausage.
Can I use jarred pasta sauce instead of spaghetti sauce?
- Absolutely. Use any tomato-based pasta sauce you like.
Do I need to boil the pasta separately?
- Boiling the pasta ensures it’s properly cooked before baking. But you can skip this step and just bake the dish longer, about 40 mins.
Can I add veggies like bell peppers or olives?
- Go for it! Sauté any extra toppings with the sausage then add to the casserole.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (or ground beef)
- 1⁄2 tsp Italian seasoning (plus additional for topping)
- 8 oz rotini pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 24 oz jar spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
- 18-20 pepperoni slices, quartered
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 13×9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook Italian sausage until browned and fully cooked, 5-7 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Return cooked sausage to skillet. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and 1⁄2 tsp Italian seasoning. Stir well.
- Add spaghetti sauce to skillet. Stir until combined.
- Add cooked and drained rotini pasta to skillet. Stir until pasta is evenly coated.
- Transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish. Use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Top with an even layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the mozzarella.
- Arrange quartered pepperoni slices on top.
- If desired, sprinkle a little more Italian seasoning over pepperoni.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and top is lightly browned.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Other pasta shapes like penne or rigatoni can be substituted for the rotini.
- Ground beef can be used instead of Italian sausage if preferred.
- Shred the mozzarella yourself for best melting results. Pre-shredded cheese won’t melt as smoothly.
- Undercook the pasta by 2 mins before mixing into the casserole, as it will continue cooking while baking.
- For extra flavor, use Italian seasoned or garlic breadcrumbs on top instead of Parmesan.
- Let the casserole rest 5 mins after baking so the cheeses can set up before serving.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or fresh basil for extra freshness.
- Swap in turkey or chicken sausage for a lighter version.
Hope you enjoy this quick and delicious Pepperoni Pizza Casserole recipe! Let me know if you have any other questions.