If you have some leftovers of mashed potatoes, don’t waste them. You can make an entirely new meal out of it for the next day. Surprisingly, it could be one of the best dishes and a traditional one. You can make it in just 30 minutes and enjoy a cheesy potato meal. We all it potato cakes and they can go as a side dish as well. If you have a big gathering or making something for a potluck, you can always go for it.
We always have leftovers from mashed potatoes and let’s face it you cannot eat it again and again. You are always looking out for recipes to try something new and here you have. It is a customized recipe but just try once the recipe we share and then add different ingredients based on your taste. It is a family and kid-friendly meal that you can serve with pasta, steaks, and just fried rice.
What kind of mashed potatoes do you need for this recipe?
Some of us make mashed potatoes runnier maybe with a lot of cheese and blend or whip it. There are different ingredients that we add like butter, salt, pepper, paprika, etc. Well, here is a surprise for you that you can use any type of mashed potatoes for this dish. Even potato cakes can be made with restaurant leftovers. If they are runnier, just add some flour and they will be fine.
- 3 cups of Mashed potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups of Flour
- Shredded cheese (You can use both cheddar and Mozzarella but we are using the cheddar one)
- Vegetable oil (You can use based on whether you want to deep fry it or cook with very less oil)
- Now here is a custom part that you can add any of the ingredients like ranch, garlic, bacon, ham, green chilies, coriander, parsley, etc. (Optional) (source: Ineskohl.info)
- You can use sour cream for topping (Optional)
- Add the mashed potatoes to a large bowl. Add one cup of flour, eggs, and cheese to it and mix it well.
- Now slowly add some more flour to make sure that the mixture is thick to make the shapes. We don’t need to be runny or too thick, it should be just perfect to hold the mixture when frying.
- In a skillet add some vegetable oil. With a spoon take the mixture and put it in the skillet. Make a pancake-like shape with the spoon.
- Cook on medium flame and once they are golden brown flip to the other side. Cook it well and place it on a plate. With the help of tissue, remove the excessive oil from the patty.
- Top the potato patties on each of them and add sour cream on top. Garnish with green onion and serve hot and fresh. Your potato cakes are ready and can go with any dip, chili sauce, and ketchup.
Is flour necessary for this recipe?
Yes, flour makes sure of the consistency and provides the exact thickness we require. But if you do not have it you can use some corn scratch as well.
Looking forward to seeing more recipes
All looks good