Prep time: 35 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 55 min
School cafeteria pizza is a kind of memory for many of us. The rectangular shape was the perfect treat back in school. If you are trying to make for yourself to refresh the memories or make it for your kids, this recipe will be a hit. It is easy to make and tastes so good. The original school lunch pizza recipe was for like 100 small rectangular pizzas. But here is the perfect one for you that is easy to make at home.
Equipment’s helpful for this recipe:
You need a half sheet pan, electric stand mixer, and a cafeteria lunch tray.
⦁ 2 tbsp of sugar
⦁ 1 ⅔ cup of water
⦁ 1 tbsp of shortening
⦁ 1 and a half tablespoons of cornmeal
⦁ 2 and a half cups of all-purpose flour
⦁ ¾ cups of instant milk powder (Recommended is one is non-dairy)
⦁ Salt to taste
⦁ 1 and a half tbsp of oil
⦁ 1 cup pizza sauce (You can increase the quantity to taste)
⦁ Mozzarella cheese (2 cups or increase for cheesy taste)
⦁ Choose your pizza toppings
- Preheat the oven to 475ºF.
- Start with taking a pan and oil it with shortening. Now, sprinkle the cornmeal and put it aside.
- Now take an electric mixer, add yeast in a little warm water and leave it for around 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, sugar, and milk to the mixer and whisk it for at least 10 minutes. The mixture can attack the whisk as well at this point.
- Spread the mixture on the pan that you have prepared and put it at room temperature for around 20 minutes.
- After that, put it in the oven and bake it for 10 minutes.
- Get the tray out of the oven and add your fun toppings, sauce, and lots of cheese.
- Bake it again for 10-15 minutes until the cheese starts to melt. ( source: ineskohl.info )
Important notes for the recipe:
⦁ Always use non-dairy milk for this recipe.
⦁ You can even use your very own homemade pizza sauce for this one
⦁ You can also try it the old way when this pizza has ground beef or hamburger stuffing. Moreover, add chicken chunks as an alternative.
⦁ Further, you can use everyone’s favorite topping like some of your friends like just cheese, and some prefer olives, sausages, etc. Surprise everyone with their wish for pizza, and they will fall in love with your recipe.
⦁ The best part is that you can use these pizzas for lunch, dinner and even freeze them. Just bake the crust and add the toppings. Now, freeze for different days or weekends in aluminum foil. Just take it out and bake it at 425 degrees, and it is all ready to serve hot and fresh from your kitchen.
⦁ You can even freeze the leftovers or keep them in the fridge and microwave them even after one or two days.
What to serve with the famous school cafeteria pizza?
⦁ You can serve some breadsticks with herbs, garlic, and cheese in it.
⦁ Creamy salad or hand-tossed salad
⦁ Some cold drinks or wine with it