I cooked this ultra comforting and delicious Southern Sweet Potato Casserole this weekend. It’s the perfect kind of dish on the cold days we have right now. The Casserole is made up of a layer of crumbled cod and another of butternut squash and potatoes, with coconut milk. The dish is sprinkled with coconut chips (I found mine in an organic store) before being baked in the oven. The sweet potato goes very well with the potato and the coconut. You can find them all year round, but it’s the peak season right now. It is a dish that can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator. You just have to heat it up in the oven, and that’s it. What to enjoy without taking the head…
- 800 g of cod back
- 1 large butternut squash
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 20 cl of coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 bunch of herbs (parsley, rosemary, celery, thyme, bay leaf)
- 4 branches of coriander
- 3 tablespoons of coconut chips
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel the vegetables.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into pieces and place them on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. source : ineskohl.info
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into large cubes and bake for 15 minutes until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the court-bouillon: bring 2 liters of salted water to a boil, add the bunch of herbs and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, covered.
- Add the cod and bring to a boil for 4 minutes.
- Drain the fish, then crumble it coarsely. Set aside.
- Add the butternut squash pieces to the drained potatoes and mashed potatoes with a potato masher or food mill.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut cream over low heat, then add the sifted cornstarch without stopping to stir.
- When the mixture starts to thicken, remove from heat and mix the coconut cream with the butternut mashed potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to the “grill” position.
- Place the flaked cod in an ovenproof dish, season with salt and pepper, then cover with the butternut mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with the coconut chips and bake for 5 minutes.
- Chop the coriander and sprinkle the dish just before serving.