Our grandmothers’ cabbage rolls are the most delicious. A beloved classic recipe!
- 8 to 10 green or Savoy cabbage leaves
- 1 lb (454 g) lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup (210 g) white rice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large beaten egg
For the sauce :
- 1 can (8 oz) of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ketchup
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl and pour over ground beef. Add salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and rice. Mix with your hands.
- In another bowl, put the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. Mix and set aside.
- Cut the cabbage heart with a knife and plunge it into boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Remove it and carefully remove the leaves. Leave to cool.
- Spread a cabbage leaf and put about 4 tablespoons of meat on it. Roll it up.
- Pour a ladle of sauce into the bottom of a baking dish. Put the cabbage rolls inside and cover with the remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and cook for 1 hour.