Dive into Ineskohl Kitchen’s Apple Dumplings recipe – a comforting dessert of tender apples wrapped in flaky dough, drenched in cinnamon syrup. Easy, step-by-step instructions for a heartwarming treat! Perfect with ice cream or whipped cream.
Indulge in the sweet, aromatic allure of apple dumplings bathed in cinnamon-infused syrup. With a flaky pie crust and the natural sweetness of apples, this dessert is a comforting classic for any season. Let’s delve into this easy, step-by-step guide!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 batches homemade pie dough
- 6 medium apples (preferably Gala or Golden Delicious), peeled, cored, and seeded
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, cut into 6 pieces
The Cinnamon Syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- Preheat your Oven: Set your oven to 425°F.
- Prepare the Dough: On a lightly floured worktop, roll out each pie dough into a rectangle roughly 1⁄8 inch thick, measuring just over 7 inches in width and 21 inches in length. Use a pizza cutter or knife to divide each rectangle into three equal squares, each spanning 6-7 inches. Chill these squares on a baking sheet in the refrigerator.
- Mix the Filling: In a small bowl, blend the cinnamon and sugar. This concoction will bring out the rich flavors of your apple dumplings.
- Assemble the Dumplings: Lay an apple on a pie dough square’s center. Lavishly sprinkle about 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of your cinnamon-sugar blend over the apple. Crown it with a butter pat. To secure the apple, fold the dough’s corners over it, dabbing the edges with water. Repeat this process for all apples.
- Arrange for Baking: Position the dumplings in two 9×13 baking dishes, ensuring each dish holds three.
- Craft the Syrup: In a saucepan over medium flame, combine water, sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Bring this mixture to a boil. Once boiling, take it off the heat.
- Add Syrup: Gently pour the hot syrup around the dumplings in the baking dishes. Remember to keep the tops of the dumplings dry.
- Bake to Perfection: Allow the dumplings to bake for 40-45 minutes. They’re done when an inserted skewer meets a tender apple center.
- Serve and Savor: Before diving in, let them cool slightly. Elevate their taste by drizzling the syrup from the dish over each warm dumpling. For an extra touch of indulgence, pair with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
- Store and Reheat: Refrigerate any remaining dumplings for up to 3-4 days. When you’re ready to indulge again, simply reheat them in a 350°F oven until they’re warm.
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Apple Dumplings:
- Choosing Your Apples: The type of apple you select can influence the flavor and texture of your dumplings. Gala and Golden Delicious apples are recommended for their balance of sweetness and firmness. However, feel free to experiment with other varieties to suit your personal preference.
- Making Homemade Pie Dough: While store-bought pie dough can be a quick alternative, there’s nothing quite like homemade. For a buttery and flaky crust, ensure your butter is cold, and try not to overwork the dough.
- Sealing the Dumplings: It’s essential to secure the dough around the apple properly to prevent leaks during baking. If you struggle with sealing the edges, moistening them with a little more water can help. Alternatively, pressing the edges with a fork can create a decorative finish while ensuring a tight seal.
- Avoiding Soggy Bottoms: Pouring the syrup around rather than over the dumplings helps maintain the crust’s crispness. For an even crispier bottom, consider pre-baking the empty baking dish for about 10 minutes before placing the dumplings inside.
- Serving Suggestions: While these apple dumplings are divine on their own, they can be enhanced with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, a drizzle of caramel sauce, or even a dollop of clotted cream. Let your imagination run wild and customize them to your heart’s desire.
- Making Ahead: If you’re looking to prepare these dumplings in advance, you can assemble them and refrigerate overnight. When you’re ready to serve, simply bake as directed, ensuring you might need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time.
Remember, the beauty of recipes like these apple dumplings lies not just in the taste but also in the process. Embrace the joy of creating, savor each bite, and share the love with those around you. After all, nothing brings people together like delicious food made from the heart.