After a hike in the woods to enjoy the beautiful fall colors, this creamy broccoli and cheddar soup is guaranteed to warm your body and your heart!
For the soup:
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) chopped garlic
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) flour
- 1.5 liters (6 cups) no-salt-added chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 500 mL (2 cups) grated white cheddar cheese
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) 15% cooking cream
For the garnish:
- 5 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) broccoli, cut into small florets
- 250 mL (1 cup) grated yellow cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir. Add broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 12 to 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add broccoli to the soup and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Gradually stir in white cheddar cheese until melted.
- Transfer soup to an electric blender container. Blend for 1 minute until smooth and creamy.
- Return soup to saucepan and stir in cream. Bring to a boil again.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon for 4 to 5 minutes, until crisp.
- Add broccoli florets to skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide soup among bowls. Top each serving with bacon, broccoli, and yellow cheddar cheese.