if you’re like me, you have a 50% chance of making perfect pie dough. You’ve tried every possible and unimaginable recipe, but still can’t get it right? You have now resigned yourself to buying pie dough already made at the grocery store? Here’s a glimmer of hope for you.
The best part is that you only need 5 ingredients to make the best pie dough there is. And it’ll be perfect every time. Yes, you read that right! Every time!
The best advice I have for a perfect crust is that once you have all your ingredients together, don’t knead the dough over and over again, you just want the ingredients to stick together, the dough should be as soft as possible.
- 2½ cups of flour
- ½ cup of butter
- ½ cup of shortening
- pinch of salt
- ice water, add teaspoon by teaspoon
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, butter, and shortening with your hands.
- Add cold water, one teaspoon at a time until the dough begins to hold.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Place the balls on parchment paper, then flatten a little.
- Place another piece of parchment paper on top and roll the dough into a circle.
- You can now remove the layer of wax paper on top.
- Transfer the dough to a pie plate. Remove the other piece of paper.
- Place your pie plate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Prick the bottom of the crust and line the crust with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f and bake the crust for 25 minutes, removing the foil after 10 minutes.