Sausage Gravy is a typical Southern dish. It is made with ground pork, salt, pepper, post-browned flour, milk, and water. The meat is cooked in the gravy until the gravy becomes thick and dark brown in color. It is traditionally served with biscuits or breakfast toast.
Sausage Gravy is popular in the Southern United States. This dish has been around for many years, and there are many ways to make it depending on personal preference. Some people use bacon grease instead of lard or bacon fat to fry the meat, while others use milk instead of water or cream to make it lighter in color. Some people add a pinch of salt while others only add a few drops of black pepper while some add both salt and pepper together while some people don’t
As the name suggests, this is a perfect breakfast dish for the weekend. It’s very easy to make and can be served with waffles, pancakes, or even biscuits.
- 3 pork sausages
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- In a skillet over medium heat, crumble the sausages and sauté, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon until the meat is perfectly browned (approx 5 minutes). Remove the meat and place it on a plate with paper napkins to absorb the fat.
- Add the oil and flour to the pan. Mix until a thick paste is formed. This is called “Roux” (used to thicken sauces or creams). Cook while stirring with the spoon until a light golden color is obtained (approx. 3 min).
- Add the milk, stirring with a balloon whisk to break up any lumps perfectly. Reduce to low heat and cook for approx. Fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally. If the gravy is too thick, we can add a little milk.
- Add the sausage to the gravy and cook for 1 minute more. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. We can add a little cayenne pepper or paprika.
- 5) Drizzle the biscuits with our gravy and?
- Let’s enjoy it!
I was looking for a recipe to make sausage gravy. The other recipes looked really good and I plan on making many of them. Thank You,
I want all these recipes, how do I save them?