Craving a quick and delicious meal? These easy homemade sloppy joes are the perfect weeknight dinner. Made with just a few simple ingredients, this tasty sloppy joe recipe comes together in just 30 minutes. Keep reading for my simple step-by-step instructions for making the best sloppy joes!
These easy homemade sloppy joes are quick to throw together but so satisfying. The sweet and tangy barbecue sauce mixed with the savory ground beef is a match made in heaven. Topping it off with melted cheese takes this classic sandwich over the top. Serve it up with some tater tots or fries for the perfect weeknight dinner! Let me know if you give this simple sloppy joe recipe a try. I hope you love it as much as my family does!
An easy homemade sloppy joes recipe made with just a few ingredients in 30 minutes. Learn how to make the best quick and delicious sloppy joes!
What kind of barbecue sauce is best for sloppy joes?
Any kind of tomato-based barbecue sauce will work well. I prefer slightly sweet and tangy sauces. Use your favorite brand!
Can I use already cooked ground beef?
Yes, you can use leftover or pre-cooked ground beef. Just skip cooking it again and add it when you add the barbecue sauce.
What bread can I use instead of Texas toast?
You can use regular sandwich bread, burger buns, or slider rolls too. I just like how Texas toast gives it that garlic flavor.
How should I store leftovers?
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze cooked sloppy joe mixture for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Absolutely! Prepare the sloppy joe mixture in advance then just toast the buns and add cheese when ready to eat. It also freezes well.
Let me know if you have any other sloppy joe questions! This easy recipe is one of my go-to quick dinners. Enjoy!
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet and Spicy)
- 6 slices Texas Toast garlic bread
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Dice 1 small onion into small pieces. Add the onion and 1 pound of ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken) to a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the beef is browned and the onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- Add 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce to the cooked ground beef and onions. I use Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet and Spicy barbecue sauce because I like a little kick, but use whichever sauce you love! Stir well to coat the meat evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place 6 slices of Texas Toast frozen garlic bread onto the sheet. Bake for 5-8 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Remove the toasted garlic bread from the oven. Scoop the sloppy joe mixture onto each slice of garlic bread, dividing it evenly. Top each sloppy joe with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. (source: Ineskohl.info)
- Return the loaded sloppy joes to the oven and bake just until the cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Try using a combo of half beef and half sausage for extra flavor.
- For a healthier version, use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Add any extra toppings you like such as jalapeños, sauteed onions or peppers, or pickled veggies.
- Bake the sloppy joe mixture in a casserole dish topped with tater tots for Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or oven.