It is always good to innovate and try new things in the kitchen. Sometimes children get bored with the same desserts and snacks. The Funnel Cake is simple and delicious. It is a very popular recipe in the United States, although it is believed that it comes from the Netherlands and that immigrants from that country served it at the Kutztown (Pennsylvania) folk festival. It is very similar to the Churros, but with a different flavor.
- 1 egg
- 180 ml of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 1 1/8 cup of flour
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 pinch of salt
- Sugar for decoration
- Frying oil
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and sugar. Stir with a fork to integrate the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla extract and sunflower oil.
- Continue beating until the mixture is well mixed and free of lumps.
- Put the cream in a piping bag.
- In a frying pan, heat a little oil, it is recommended not to add too much, since the dough strips should rest in the bottom of the frying pan.
- With the piping bag, make a kind of grid, letting the dough fall and moving the bag. Be careful when pouring the dough because the oil might jump out.
- Fry it with the stove’s flame not too high and make sure you brown it on both sides for several minutes.
- When it is ready, take it out and let it rest on a plate with absorbent paper. To serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar first.