A classic kitchen staple, trifle is a quick and easy dessert to make. Have some leftover cake on hand? Use it!
- 2 cups (340 grams) diced strawberries
- 1/3 cup (38 grams) sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 21-ounce (595-gram) can strawberry pie filling
Cheesecake mousse :
- 16 ounces (450 grams) cream cheese
- 2 cups (300 grams) powdered sugar, divided
- 4 cups (1 liter) cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 angel food cake, or vanilla cake, diced
- Combine diced strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix and set aside to macerate.
- Cut cake into cubes.
- Whip cream cheese with 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar and 1 ½ cups cream.
- Add vanilla, and whisk until smooth and light.
- In a separate bowl, whip 2 ½ cups cream with ½ cup powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Combine by folding 2 cups of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture with a spatula.
- Save remaining whipped cream for trifle topping.
- Add strawberry pie filling to macerating strawberries and mix well.
- Alternate layers of cake pieces, strawberries, and cream cheese mousse until all ingredients have been used.
- Top with remaining whipped cream and garnish as desired.
Tip: Instead of using 2 cups of whipped cream, use an 8-ounce jar of frozen whipped topping to combine with cream cheese mixture. Use another jar for topping.