The holiday season is upon us, and it’s time to explore delicious recipes to bring joy to our tables. Today, I’m thrilled to share with you a delightful dessert that will surely bring back some childhood memories. It’s the refreshing and zesty Orange Dreamsicle Salad. It’s as delightful and whimsical as the name suggests! It’s one of those unique dishes that blurs the lines between salad and dessert. Bursting with a refreshing citrus flavor and creamy vanilla undertones, this dish makes the perfect potluck addition or a splendid dessert for your holiday feast.
This particular recipe was shared with me by my friend, Jimmy, whose culinary creations never cease to impress. However, being a lover of textures and contrasts, I’ve added a few twists to make it more “Ineskohl Kitchen” style. So, shall we begin this culinary journey?
- One small box of orange gelatin (85g)
- 1 cup of boiling water (237 ml)
- 1/2 cup of very cold water with ice (118 ml)
- One small package of instant vanilla pudding (96g)
- One can of mandarin oranges (15 oz or approximately 425g)
- One can of crushed pineapple, drained (15 oz or approximately 425g)
- A handful of pecans (optional)
- One container of whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed (8 oz or approximately 227g)
Step by Step :
- Start by pouring your orange gelatin into a bowl. This is the foundation of our dish, adding that vibrant, tangy, and sun-kissed flavor we all love to our dreamsicles.
- Pour the cup of boiling water over the gelatin, stirring until it completely dissolves. The hot water helps to break down the gelatin, ensuring a smooth texture in our salad.
- After the gelatin has fully dissolved, stir in half a cup of cold water with ice. The cold water helps to cool down the mixture and begin the gelatin-setting process.
- Pop the bowl into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. We’re looking for a slightly thickened but not fully set consistency, almost like a gelatinous soup.
- While the gelatin mixture is chilling, let’s prepare the rest of our ingredients. Drain your canned mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple. You can always add other fruits as well, but these two create a tropical and refreshing touch to our Dreamsicle salad.
- Take out the chilled gelatin mixture, and add your instant vanilla pudding to it. This will bring that creamy vanilla undertone, just like the traditional Dreamsicle we all know and love. source: Ineskohl.info
- Mix the gelatin and pudding until well combined. The mixture should thicken slightly due to the pudding mix.
- Now, fold in the drained mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple. I’ve also decided to toss in a handful of pecans for a delightful crunch. This step is optional, but I highly recommend it for some added texture.
- Finally, fold in your whipped topping, whether you’re using Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream. This will give our salad a light, fluffy texture, almost like a citrus-infused cloud.
- Once everything is well combined, transfer your salad into a beautiful serving dish, and let it chill in the fridge for a few hours or ideally overnight. This chilling time allows all the flavors to meld together beautifully, resulting in an irresistible, refreshing dessert.
There you have it, friends – a vibrant, refreshing, and delectably sweet Orange Dreamsicle Salad. A big shout-out to Jimmy for sharing this wonderful recipe. Enjoy the creamy, citrusy goodness of this delightful dish and let it transport you back to your childhood with every spoonful. Happy cooking!
Remember, the kitchen is your playground. Feel free to substitute or add any fruit or nuts according to your preference. You could toss in some coconut shreds or chopped apples for a new twist. Whatever your choice, I’m confident it will be delicious.
From my kitchen to yours, stay safe, stay happy, and keep those ovens warm. I can’t wait to share more culinary adventures with you. Happy Holidays!