Vegan, refined sugar-free coconut and dark chocolate bars that will satisfy your sweet tooth without collateral damage 🙂
Everyone may not love coconut, but it is one of my favorite foods. I love the taste, the texture, the little strands that get stuck in your teeth… everything! And I also loved the commercial chocolate bars that contained it until recently. I’m not saying that I used to eat them often. Still, sometimes I would indulge in this little treat that I don’t indulge in anymore because of the dairy products that are always present in this kind of delicacy.
So I tried everything I could to reproduce the delicious Bounty bars without using dairy products. After searching the web, I found the perfect recipe. It contains coconut in three forms (unsweetened grated, cream, and butter), a tiny bit of maple syrup to sweeten it (you don’t even have to add any), and dark chocolate as a coating (very important, because dark chocolate is the only one that doesn’t contain dairy products – and again, you have to check the ingredients, it depends on the brand!)
I am very satisfied with this first try. The bars are melting inside, crunchy outside with the chocolate, and honestly, when you’re not used to desserts with too much sugar, you really appreciate this lighter version that allows you to taste the coconut and cocoa flavors without them being masked by sugar. It’s up to you whether or not to add maple syrup to this recipe, but it’s not necessary. And keep them cold for best results.
A perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt!
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (canned, the liquid part)
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup dark chocolate (70% or more cocoa), coarsely chopped
- Line a rectangular pan (loaf pan type) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine unsweetened shredded coconut, coconut cream, maple syrup (if desired), and melted coconut butter and mix thoroughly with a spoon. (source: ineskohl.info)
- Press mixture into the bottom of prepared pan, smoothing the surface. Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- After freezing time, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove coconut mixture from freezer and cut into thumb-sized bars with a sharp knife. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl over a simmering water bath. Dip the coconut pieces one by one into the chocolate with a fork, coat well, drain and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (it is better to take the bars out of the refrigerator one by one to dip them…)
- Allow to set completely in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or freeze without a problem.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Pause time: 2 hours
Cooking time : A few minutes on the stove for the chocolate
Quantity obtained : 12 small bars